Trip to ancient Mtskheta
Trip to ancient Mtskheta – to one of the oldest cities of Georgia and heart of georgian civilization. Mtskheta was founded in the 5th century BC. And was capital of the early Georgian Kingdom of Iberia. Nowhere in Georgia is there such a quantity of cult places as in Mtskheta. That is why this ancient city is also named “the Second Jerusalem”.
Mtskheta is located at the confluence of the two mountain rivers, the Aragvi, and the Kura on the river terrace surrounded by majestic mountain tops. The city legend says that Mtskheta was founded during times immemorial by the legendary ruler Mtsekhotos, the son of the first king of Kartli, who named the city in his honor.
Places to visit:
- Svetitskhoveli Cathedral* – one of the most ancient and major temple which is unique amazing sample of religious architecture of the medieval Caucasus. It was built in the 11 th century (1010-1029) on the site of the Twelve Apostles Church, the first Christian Georgian church erected in the 4 th century.
- Jvari Monastery* – the most ancient cult monument constructed in the beginning of Georgian Christianity in the 6th century (585- 604). The name Jvari means “cross” in Georgian language. Jvari is standing on the edge of a high rock. Below, at the foot noisy Kura and Aragvi, two most known rivers in Georgia, are flowing by. Right across lies the extensive panorama of Mtskheta.
- Samtavro Convent* – in which the ruler Mirian and his wife Nana, the first to accept Christianity from St. Nino in 337, are buried. The convent was constructed in 1820 instead of a small ancient wooden church of the 4 th century erected by the king Mirian. Its dome and some of the parts were reconstructed after the earthquake in the 13 th – 14 th centuries. In the church there is the grave of St. Gabriel; one of the most esteemed Georgian saints. This place is always full of pilgrims and worshippers of the saint.
- Free time to walk around the city without a guide. You will have the opportunity to take a lot of interesting photos and explore the city by yourself.
The completion of schedule. Way back to hotel.
|INCLUDE IN THE PRICE||NOT INCLUDE IN THE PRICE|
Price on day trip to ancient Mtskheta from Tbilisi
1 – 3 pers
|4 – 6 pers||7 – 14 pers|
- In case if you will find the cheaper price, please notify us, we will check and try to offer you more convenient price!!!
- If you want to visit excursion with driver-guide please contact us
- The company reserves the right to change trip schedule and sequence without reducing the tour completeness.
Do you have any questions or would like to book tour? Please use “SEND INQUIRY” or “MAKE BOOKING” form and we will contact you